11 Oktober 2014

Aus Hawthornes Liebesbriefen

My dear Sophie, your letters are no small portion of my spiritual food, and help to keep my soul alive, when otherwise it might languish unto death, or else become hardened and earth-incrusted, as seems to be the case with almost all the souls with whom I am in daily intercourse. [...]
It almost seems to me, now, as if beautiful days were wasted and thrown away, when we do not feel their beauty and heavenliness through one another. [...]
When we shall be endowed with our spiritual bodies, I think they will be so constituted, that we may send thoughts and feelings any distance, in no time at all, and transfuse them warm and fresh into the consciousness of those whom we love. Oh what a bliss it would be, at this moment; if I could be conscious of some purer feeling, some more delicate sentiment, some lovelier fantasy, than could possibly have had its birth in my own nature, and therefore be aware that my Dove was thinking through my mind and feeling through my heart!
Love Letters of Nathaniel Hawthorne, Volume I 


Wäre er imstande gewesen, sich seiner eigenen Empfindungen klar bewußt zu werden, so würde er gefunden haben, daß die wichtigste Grundlage, auf der seine feste, zärtliche, stolze Liebe zu seiner Frau ruhte, immer dieses Gefühl der Bewunderung für ihr Seelenleben war, für diese hohe sittliche Welt, in der seine Frau stets lebte und die ihm selbst beinah unzugänglich war.

Er war stolz darauf, daß sie so klug und gut war, sah ein, daß er auf geistigem Gebiet hinter ihr zurückstand, und freute sich um so mehr darüber, daß sie mit ihrer Seele nicht nur ihm gehörte, sondern sogar einen Teil seines eigenen Ich bildete.
(Leo Tolstoi: Krieg und Frieden, Epilog, Kapitel 15, S.447-448)

Keine Kommentare: